Wednesday 17 December 2008

There Are Places I Remember....

For those who don’t know, the title of this post is the first line of a 1965 track from the album Rubber Soul called “In my life” by the Beatles. Coming from Liverpool, The Beatles have, without a doubt had the greatest musical influence on my life but also on my personal life too!

So the lyrics…

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain

All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more
In my life I love you more

So… where was I…...I was on the way to work this morning, taking the tube, rather than on my motorcycle which is my usual form of transport and as a result of not really having to concentrate, my mind was wandering and inevitably it got wandering about football….and specifically about moments in football where something has happened and you will never forget where you were when it happened…. Some are random and some are strange…. But in my life….

Hillsborough 1989 – I was living in the Far East at the time with my family and I remember my ‘arl fella getting a phone call about it telling us what had happened and him then frantically trying to get in touch with his kid brother a match going red and his brother in law to make sure they were ok. In the weeks that followed, I remember being sent dozens and dozens of newspapers and magazines from family back home to let my mum and dad see exactly what had happened….

The 1989 FA Cup Final – I was in Liverpool on holiday with my whole family…. My brother and granddad were the blue noses’ in the house and I remember going mental, dressed head to toe in the new Liverpool kit me ma’ had bought me… and our kid in his new everton kit…. I remember my granddad recording it on the VCR and later wishing he never did, every time I went round, I insisted on watching it over and over again!

Both the 4-3’s between Newcastle and Liverpool are fresh in my memory, we were living in Saudi Arabia, it was about 1am when Colleymore stunned King Kev with his injury time winner…. Cue me and me ‘arl fella screaming in the living room and me ma’ running down stairs shouting, what’s gone on, what’s gone on….what matches they were, Asprilla was immense.

The whole of 2001. Christ, we as Liverpool supporters wait years and years without a trophy and three come along at once. I was on my “gap” year this year… I was in Vancouver for the FA Cup Final with my best mate who is a gooner, I had arrived in Sydney two hours before kick off of the Uefa Cup Final and watched it in a Liverpool supporters bar…the lasting memory was walking around Sydney the next day when a fella in a suit comes running up to me and jumps onto me giving me a huge hug and a kiss… he gets off me, takes off his tie, un-buttons his shirt….and there is a Liverpool shirt….turns out the lad was from Norris Green and moved to oz the year before…. Classic.

Gerrard Houllier returning after his heart operation…. I was at Uni in Newcastle, watched it in Bar Oz where I got chatting to a lad who is now one of my best mates…. A huge game, huge importance…. Roma, the history, the revenge…. The victory. Get in there.

GET IN YOU BEAUUUUUTYYYY!! Haha…. Fucking Andy Shithouse Grey….. I was in the David Lloyd in Kingston where I was living watching this on their big tele…. The goal went in and I was the only one watching, I jumped up, screaming and shouting…. They all thought I was mad….. little did any of us know…. This was going to be the start of the best journey I’ve ever been on.

Fuck Off Mourinho…..Fuck Off Mourinho….I’d grown up with me ‘arl fella telling me about the kop on those famous nights against St. Etienne and against Boroussia Munchengladbach and that… but until the Champions League Semi-Final, I’d never, never, experienced anything like it. YNWA had me in tears, this is what I support Liverpool for, the emotion, the fact the kop and the rest of the ground was full 45 minutes before kick-off…. This was Liverpool FC, this was the KOP, this was our night. The phantom goal, the Gudjohnsson miss…. The Celebrations after…. Standing outside the kop in-front of the man who made us the power house we are (Shanks) singing Fuck Off Mourinho…..Fuck Off Mourinho….was just special!

Tell me ma’ me ma’, to pack my bags up full…. I’m off to Istanbul….I’m not even going to go into details…there are to many to go into, but for those who want to know what my trip was like, my mate who was with us, wrote this a year after the final… sums it up nicely….comfortably the best 4 days of my life.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=93067.07.0

So…. am I mental? Am I the only one who remembers exactly what they were doing for specific matches?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I s'pose I've been lucky enough to be at most of the most significant Charlton games. As we haven't won much since 47 this isn't difficult...

Not sure if its quite what you're after Kelvin, but after the play off semi against Ipswich I left the Valley and in the crowd caught sight of the profile on an ex girlfriend of about 20 years previous. What was spooky was that I then caught sight of her two kids - absolute carbon copies of her (not me I hasten to add).

Pembury Addick

Kelvin said...

Pembury, this is what I'm after... its about the little things, however quirky that remind you of where you were and that!

Did you speak to the ex?

ChicagoAddick said...

Good topic Kelvin, er let me think:

Play off semi 2nd leg - I was on my honeymoon in Thailand

Ipswich at home to celebrate title. At home rowing with my now ex-wife.

Play off final - in terrible seats at Wembley but it didn't matter a jot!

Chelsea away last game of season - in the away end scared for my life

Leeds play off replay - out after work, pre mobiles. Had no idea of score until got home. My Dad told me, and we both went straight back out for a pint.

Blackburn Members Cup - On a sparse open terrace at Wembley. The open top bus we had hired to get us there was the best bit of the day.

Promotion at Carlisle - was there, although my brother almost got arrested going in and it took some serious negotiation for me to get him in. Thank god we did. Love Jim Tolmie

Pompey at The Valley 5/12/92. In the Covered End with tears down my cheek.

Stoke last game at the The Valley - on the pitch after digging up the turf. It died in our garden, fortunately Charlton didn't.

Outside Woolwich Town Hall on a cold night in 1990. Going mad like we had scored a champions league winner.

Curbs resignation - being confused by the TV commentary after getting out of bed late in my Chicago apartment and missing the kick off and thus the announcement.

Bolton home circa 1979. We had to win the stay up. I was on the Isle of Wight on a school journey. My Mum literally sent me the newspaper cuttings to tell me we won. I was overjoyed.

1975. My first game. Sunderland at home. Lost 1-0, Hales was sent off. I loved it. I loved the team that played in red.

Kelvin said...

some crackers there chicago... :)

I'm glad its just not me who remembers stuff like this!

MY "affair" with the addicks started at Anfield one April afternoon, it was a lovely day, then 30 mins before kick off, it began hailing and snowing!!! Richard was in the away end at the Annie road and me in the kop.... that blue nose Thomas Mhyre had the game of his life!! And I'll never forget having to carry richard home that night!! :) haha....

Also remember standing in the Jimmy Seed stand watching one of the worst liverpool performances in a long time when we lost 3-0 or 2-0 one dark, cold winter night a few seasons ago, think luke young scored that night!