Wednesday 17 September 2008

A Gray Day

I had a rubbish day yesterday and was fully expecting Charlton to compound my misery by failing to get anything out of the game at Doncaster. So I was cheered up no end when the news came through of an improbable 1-0 victory for the Addicks. As I found myself jumping around the front room punching the air, I was reminded just how much Charlton's results can influence my mood. A bad day didn't seem so bad after all courtesy of eleven men in a white shirt. Thanks lads.

The initial euphoria (heightened by a win for Liverpool to keep Kelvin happy) was tempered slightly by reports of the performance. By all accounts we sat back and soaked up way too much pressure, as highlighted by the 14-1 corner count. It sounds like Doncaster played neat and attractive football which we defended resolutely against, without creating anything of note ourselves. However, if nothing else it's pleasing that we a) kept a clean sheet and b) did not let another 1-0 lead slip through our fingers.

After a disappointing game on Saturday, it was good to see Andy Gray get back on the score sheet and also pleaseing that it was Jonathan Fortune, another who was not at his best against Wolves, that provided the ball from a free kick. It was unsurprising to learn from Dave Peeps (more) that it was Mark Hudson and Nicky Bailey who were once again the stand out performers in the team. The importance of these two players is evident, and will be doubly so if one of them should get injured. Let's hope that this result gives the team the confidence they need to play a slightly more expansive game against Forest on Saturday and come away with three more points.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard

I too was walking on razor blades for the most of the night - and then did the leaping round bit at the final result!

It annoys me that my mood is so influenced by Charlton's results - but I just can't change it! I promised myself indifference after the wolves game...

My seven year old son makes it worse. If I'm not there I would rather know nothing until the final whistle - but he insists on death by teletext.

Pembury Addick

Richard said...

PA ... thanks for your comment. Teletext is a dangerous tool when in the wrong hands, and it must have been especially so given we scored so early on Tuesday ... frequently checking page 317 for so long can not be healthy! Still, it was all worth in the end.

I've tried indifference as well but it hasn't worked to date. Let's hope for more leaping around and air punching on Saturday.