Wednesday 12 March 2008

The Last 8 Miles

So here it is; my first post, and my first effort at a blog.

If you’ve read about me, you’ll know that I’m ‘new’ to CAFC and that it’s really this season that I’ve followed them with rigour.

First off, fair play to the guys and girls who made the trip up to Burnley – midweek, no trains, appalling conditions – I remember the last time I was at turf moor – a certain Djimi Traore scored a stunning Zidane’esque turn, but unfortunately put it into his own net, it was not a fun night. But good on you for getting up there and supporting the side.

It’s been an interesting last few weeks, some ‘poor’ results with some lovely football (the first half against Bristol was a great half) mixed in, a tit for tat striker loan, that’s ended in tears and 9 months on the touch line for Izale. All this and really no change in terms of the table. It is, HOWEVER, fairly safe to say, that any ‘comfort’ zone that was in the bank and all 9 lives have been used.

On the train back to London after the PNE match, trying to analyse the match got me thinking about the rest of the season. 8 matches to go, 4 home, 4 away, including a trip to the valley for champions elect West Brom, what can we really expect in the run up to the end of the season and where do I think it will go….

I’d be happy with a point away at Ipswich. I think a win at home to Wolves is a must and I think anything from West Brom would be a bonus….4 points from 3 very tough fixtures will mean that we will need to pick up a few more in the last 5. I see a draw with Plymouth and QPR, and wins against Southampton, Barnsley (who will be caught up in their cup run) and a HUGE win at home to Coventry on the last day of the season…. But will it be enough? 15 points will take the total for the season up to 71. That would be the lowest total for a side to get into the play off’s this millennium.

Is it all doom and gloom though? No, I don’t think it is. There is an opportunity to pick up the points to get to the 73 - 75 target that should ensure play off football against Ipswich, Plymouth and QPR – the side will need to be up for these matches and I think its now that Pards will earn his wage. The players need to play through the end of season trough and I don’t see why that can’t start away at Ipswich this weekend, will a full away end and a few new ‘injections’ into the side, lets take it to them and enjoy the football again.

No comments: